Sunday, July 4, 2010

Worship today

This morning the FOCUS Churches of Albany (something like Fine Old Churches United in Service) had a union worship service at one of our member churches, Israel A.M.E. While I don't think I'd be comfortable with this brand of worship as a steady diet, it was certainly a joyous, Spirit-filled time. Only two hours, which in the Black church tradition isn't excessive.

The other FOCUS churches are Emmanuel Baptist, where I'm currently Interim Pastor; First Presbyterian, Westminster Presbyterian (both PCUSA congregations), Trinity United Methodist, and Delmar Reformed. Delmar is a suburb of Albany, and the other churches are all in the Center Square neighborhood of Albany, which is just up the hill from the Capitol building.

FOCUS runs a breakfast program in winter, a "computer for kids" program in summer, and a food pantry all year round. In general, FOCUS ministries aid the hungry, homeless, and poor of the neighborhood.

Albany is a small city (called "Smalbany" by some), but it has all the problems of cities of all sizes. There are other churches in the city, too, that are doing much-needed ministry. But the churches can't do it all. And I am convinced that the purpose of government really is in part to "promote the general welfare" of all citizens. The rub, of course, is how to do this when revenues are limited. I don't have all the answers; if I did, I'd be running for office, or at least writing lots of letters to the legislators and the governor -- and the U.S. Congress and Senate and the president... but I do think that too many get away with too little in taxes.

Ah well. This morning at Israel, the tithers were invited to bring their tithes forward first, before the rest of the worshipers. There were a lot of them! I wonder ... I doubt that anyone in that worship service this morning is a millionnaire, and I wonder how many millionnaires tithe to churches or to charities. If more of all of us tithed to help out the "least of these" all would be better off.

Let the people say, "Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment