Friday, July 2, 2010

Now that I know a little bit -- a VERY little bit -- about this blog business, some thoughts:

I've been following the Elena Kagan confirmation hearings, and thinking about the difference between liberals and conservatives in interpretation of the U.S. Constitution and the Bible. There are similarities: in general, conservatives believe that there is one meaning, and one meaning only, for the original words, and if we can just find it, we'll have the correct interpretation to form our laws. And in general, liberals look at both writings as "living documents" whose interpretation takes into account the current context as well as the original context.

I've had experience with a group of conservative (evangelical) Presbyterians and liberal (progressive) Presbyterians, and learned that it is possible to study and discuss Biblical passages together. At times we have moved closer to each other's interpretations, at other times we have not. But always both "sides" have benefited from understanding that good, intelligent Presbyterians can differ. I wish our politicians could say the same!

3 comments:

  1. I think you will agree that the lables conservative & liberal are over-used and loosing there definitive meanings. I was preaching at a local church and had people comment in coffee hour that it was nice to hear someone in the pulpit that wasn't liberal. To those who know me that would give them a good laugh. When we talk about the love of God and the "good news" of Jesus, the lables, to me, become meaningless except for the bias we bring to them.

    Glad to see your blog. Good dialogue will bring us all closer together. LCG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laurence, you're right about labels. Normally I try to avoid them -- though I proudly accept the label "liberal" -- meaning generous, in many connotations of that word.

    I recently had a former parishioner give me a startled look when I told her I was too liberal for another congregation. She heard me preach every Sunday for a year and a half and wouldn't label me "liberal" because I preach from the Bible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I watched the Kagan hearings I became more aware than ever before just how much the Senators are speaking, not to the person being considered for the post, and not to a general body of citizens or voters, but to their own supporters. Conservative Senators seem to be attempting to communicate to their conservative voters that they support things like those with means over the poor, business over individuals, the unborn over the health and well being of mothers and mothers to be, people who consider themselves straight over those who consider themselves lesbian or gay, etc.

    And, liberal or progressive Senators seem to want to make clear to their supporters that they think all individuals have equal value and need equal justice and support.

    However, and this is my main point, the hearings have become an instrument (a means) to stay in power in the Senate.

    Personally, I long for a situation where our representatives do their best to create positive situations for all US citizens, and are re-elected or not depending on the degree to which they satisfy the majority. I think this is what the founders wanted to create when they separated from England and wrote their own consitution.

    I would also like to live to experience more conservative representatives who actually pay attention to the teachings of Jesus.

    I think these things would lead to a workable energy policy which would be good for the earth, for its residents, it would lead to health care for everyone, with no one earning profits from those who are ill. Hopefully it would also lead to fewer ill people because preventative health measures would be important in our education system.

    As a recent article in the Atlantic said, much more is learned during the hearings about the state of the Senate than the state of Mrs. Kagan. Personally, I hope she passes Senate muster and has a long career in the Supreme Court.

    ReplyDelete